Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  
Deranged Nasat -- A very good moring to you all. Just checking in on everyone.
Sephirah -- Mriytic Cardăsa!
Yeela -- Good Morning Cardassia!
Yeela -- Shada!! sup!
Yeela -- biggrin.gif

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Add Reply
New Poll

Prefect and Exarch
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Sep 2 2015, 12:23 PM

Hebitian at Heart

Group: Prefect
Member No.: 4

Something I've been wondering about for a while...how do you guys see the terms "Prefect" and "Exarch"?

We have one canon example for each: Gul Dukat as prefect, and Kotan Pa'Dar as exarch.

Are these terms specific to the Occupation of Bajor, or do you think these are titles that also have a use on worlds inhabited by Cardassians as well, maybe even including Cardassia Prime for one or both?

What is the relationship between a prefect and an exarch? My personal impression was that before the fall of the Union, the military prefect holds the actual power, and the exarch is comparable to the role the Detapa Council had prior to its dissolution--merely a symbolic rubber stamp on whatever the prefect does. (Failure to obey can have serious consequences...which IMO may well be what happened to Pa'Dar: he dared to stand up to Dukat.)

Do you think one or both of these titles continue to hold relevance after the Dominion War? How might the definitions change for whichever term(s) remains extant post-war?

Below is a little background on what an Earth exarch and prefect are:

Exarch (secular): "In the Byzantine Empire, an exarch (/ˈɛksɑrk/; Ancient Greek: ἔξαρχος exarchos) was a governor with extended authority over a province at some distance from the capital Constantinople. The prevailing situation frequently involved him in military operations."

There is also an ecclesiastic definition of exarch that remains in modern usage in the Eastern Orthodox church and for eastern rite Catholics. Without delving into the ins and outs of that, I do wonder if that kind of connection could hint at the Cardassian title being some sort of carryover from the Oralian era, given the possibility that the Universal Translator may have sought to match one dual-usage term to one with similar connotations on Earth.

Prefect: The term "prefect" has seen a LOT of use IRL, and it began with the Roman Empire, where it could be used in praetorian, police and civil, military, religious, and provincial governorship contexts. In feudal times it could be used for many types of officials. In modern times, it has uses ranging from religious to academic (most often Commonwealth--the US does not typically honor such a position for students), regional governorship, and command of police jurisdictions, depending on the country.

This is another dual-use term, although it is much more common to encounter it in a secular context IRL than the term exarch. The concept of regional governorship can be tied to both terms; however, the term "prefect" does have military and police variants, which "exarch" does not.

--------------------
Avatar credit: balsavor.deviantart.com
PM
^
Marritza
 Posted: Sep 4 2015, 05:54 AM

Jagul

Group: Cardassian
Member No.: 42

An Exarch is a civilian who has taken on a perfect type leadership role. A prefect is military based.
PM
^
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Sep 4 2015, 11:22 AM

Hebitian at Heart

Group: Prefect
Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Marritza @ Sep 4 2015, 05:54 AM)
An Exarch is a civilian who has taken on a perfect type leadership role. A prefect is military based.

In the Union, how much do you think the exarch and prefect are each responsible for? Do those roles exist anywhere besides Bajor?

--------------------
Avatar credit: balsavor.deviantart.com
PM
^
Marritza
 Posted: Sep 5 2015, 05:28 AM

Jagul

Member No.: 42

I think they would exist everywhere the military and civilian council have to work together. Both jobs would have the some responsibilities, governance wise. The differences would be that an exarch would have no control over military matters.
Cardassia being a militaristic society obviously the exarch would report to a military head, i.e. Pa'Dar reported to Gul Dukat about various council matters.
PM
^
Deranged Nasat
 Posted: Oct 4 2015, 07:32 AM

The Essay Master

Member No.: 49

QUOTE (Nerys Ghemor @ Sep 2 2015, 05:23 PM)
Something I've been wondering about for a while...how do you guys see the terms "Prefect" and "Exarch"?

We have one canon example for each: Gul Dukat as prefect, and Kotan Pa'Dar as exarch.

Are these terms specific to the Occupation of Bajor, or do you think these are titles that also have a use on worlds inhabited by Cardassians as well, maybe even including Cardassia Prime for one or both?

What is the relationship between a prefect and an exarch?  My personal impression was that before the fall of the Union, the military prefect holds the actual power, and the exarch is comparable to the role the Detapa Council had prior to its dissolution--merely a symbolic rubber stamp on whatever the prefect does.  (Failure to obey can have serious consequences...which IMO may well be what happened to Pa'Dar: he dared to stand up to Dukat.)

Sorry I'm so late to the discussion, but I think your interpretation is a sensible one. Prefect as the position that holds at least de facto authority (and approval of the Central Command), if not also de jure, while Exarch is a descriptive title of civilian authority - and of course civilian authority defers to military authority. I'd assume Exarch is a title used in the colonies only, as an outreach of sorts to the "unconverted", which might tie in with your idea that the translation hints at a formally religious association, e.g. a missionary heading up an outreach program in a new land. Hearts and minds, which explains why Pa'Dar (whose heart is in the right place much of the time no matter what else you can say about him) is carrying the title. I'd imagine that such half-forgotten connotations are unnecessary on Prime and in the established settlements of the inner "Hub" colonies, so they wouldn't have Exarchs.
PMEmail
^
Yeela
 Posted: Oct 14 2015, 02:34 AM

Garresh

Member No.: 84

It's just amazing every single time I jump into a forum I learn something new lol that was some heavy deep thought thinking there, I am now going to have to research this more..
PMWebsite
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll