Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  
Deranged Nasat -- A very good moring to you all. Just checking in on everyone.
Sephirah -- Mriytic Cardăsa!
Yeela -- Good Morning Cardassia!
Yeela -- Shada!! sup!
Yeela -- biggrin.gif

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Add Reply
New Poll

Live audience on TV, My experience
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: May 14 2015, 06:13 AM

Always a Glinn

Group: Prefect
Member No.: 3

I mentioned in the chat that I was lucky to get tickets for live audience for "Quite Interesting" show. Getting them is not easy, because "QI" is second in demand for tickets (the first being "Top Gear" with Jeremy Clarkson); Stephen Fry told us so before we started recording.

I love the show, so it was fantastic that I got the ticket. Getting one is just half of success, because it still doesn't guarantee getting in. They always issue more tickets than seats, because some people don't come, and they need full audience. But it's an easy fix - just come early enough. I queued up 1.5 hour earlier.

I was in 4th row. smile.gif

I am not allowed to tell any details from the show (not until it airs at least), but I can share my impressions.

They record it, and edit it later for TV use. The show on TV has two versions, one is 30 mins, the other, called "XL" 45 mins. The live show is 2 hours. And it IS a live show.

I expected it to be prepared and recorded a bit like a movie, with cuts and what not, with us instructed when to clap or laugh, but it was nothing like that. I had a feeling that it was a live performance that was also recorded, not the other way around. It felt like it was for us, not like we were there, because we are a needed element of the show.
Only at the end two short shots had to be re-recorded, because of some minor problems.

I really enjoyed my time. smile.gif I hope to get tickets for next year too! biggrin.gif
PMWebsite
^
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: May 14 2015, 10:51 AM

Hebitian at Heart

Member No.: 4

One of the things I have always wondered is whether a TV show gains something, or instead loses something, by being seen live before any of the editing, sound cleanup/post-production, and other behind-the-scenes magic happens. How close is the in-person reality to what is seen on TV? Does it hold up on its own (or maybe is even better), or does it rely on the "illusion" created after it's recorded, and the constrained view you get onscreen, to really look good and be enjoyable?

This post has been edited by Nerys Ghemor: May 14 2015, 01:50 PM

--------------------
Avatar credit: balsavor.deviantart.com
PM
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: May 14 2015, 02:25 PM

Always a Glinn

Member No.: 3

You know, I could barely feel that it was different. Sure, I could look at any person *I* chose, and not the camera, and it was longer than 20/45 minutes, but beside that - it was the same show. Nothing forced, nothing artificial, no sound problems or breaks for setting any technical stuff up. It just went on.

I can imagine what they'll cut out, because it's not a public TV material, but that's just a tiny part of what was going on. When I watch that episode when it airs, I don't expect much difference. I'm just curious would would be left after editing it.

Also, there were screens for the audience, which shows what was recorded, so the show was made as those "live" shows are: someone decided which camera take to air, when to switch, keeps directing it. I think the only thing they must now do it edit - deciding which parts to dump.

But like I said: it felt like a show to us. It didn't feel like making a movie.
PMWebsite
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll