Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  
Deranged Nasat -- A very good moring to you all. Just checking in on everyone.
Sephirah -- Mriytic Cardăsa!
Yeela -- Good Morning Cardassia!
Yeela -- Shada!! sup!
Yeela -- biggrin.gif

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Add Reply
New Poll

If this is the way foward
Gazomg
 Posted: Apr 15 2015, 11:03 PM

Dal

Group: Cardassian
Member No.: 70

Yet another thread where a discussion was ongoing gets locked.

My posts in the recent thread accepted the mods decision on the shada incident.
My posts were concerning a broader issue.
As I mentioned in that thread my bone of contention was in my opinion a clampdown on mods that did not help the thread but escalated it.

What happens , ? the thread is locked.
If this is the way forward for here then I will have to consider if its worth even to bother visiting if we are gonna be subjected to having out opinion disregarded.

Months ago i asked multiple times about the problems with the site and how it is displayed, even providing screenshots, and no mod seemed to bother replying. it was like its ok for us so screw you.

The issue is still the same, took me ages how to find the way to post a new thread such is the chaotic nature of the display.

If this site is to attract more people and move forward, stifling peoples opinions cos they dont agree with mods opinions on how they perceive a cardassian to be or locking threads or ignoring questions in the feedback area is certainly not the way to go.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
Isadorabelle
 Posted: Apr 16 2015, 12:49 AM

Legate

Group: Central Command
Member No.: 1

One of the things we will be addressing is the appearance. As far as your concerns in the feedback section yes, they should have been answered. In the future, these things will be handled. In the meantime, the 'Clean' one work fine, I just tried out 'Clean' and it's perfectly functional in mobile, and as I haven't made changes to it recently, it should have been in November. With four skins, it's a little difficult to make sure all of them are 100%.

As far as the attitude you've encountered in the past with feedback, sorry you've felt that way. I'm the one that does the coding and frankly, I've had more important things to deal with. If you decide you'd like to stay with us, I might suggest considering the 'Clean' skin until I can fix this one or design a new one from the ground up that is friendlier to mobile.

Now, as far as the attitude you may sense now:

I'm pissed off, and I'm tired of not wanting to come to my own community because someone is constantly creating strife. I did not and still don't have the good health for that, and I didn't want to spend what I did have, what time I had, constantly trying to quell issues that were always here.

That thread was locked because I didn't think that it was actually going anywhere. I felt that Re'jal, Nerys and myself would continue to say the same things over and over again.

The thread that you had concerns about was locked because it had escalated to yet another ridiculous point. Now, I did read that thread before banning Shada. I just skimmed over it again and you know, the most combative person I saw in it was (not a surprise) Shada and I'm done with the bullshit. Don't misunderstand, I have no problem with opposing opinions. Hell, I like them. I like constructive, intelligent debates. And as long as someone is respectful about it and isn't abusive or a bully, have at it.

There are a lot of things on the community that were wrong and will be addressed. When we are open to guests again, we will be better. But, continuously rehashing the mistakes of the past (and we are well aware of our own shortcomings) really isn't going to fix anything. The issues you've brought up will be addressed and as I type, are actually being addressed.

I hope you choose to stay for that, but if not that's fine. I do understand your perspective, but please try to understand mine. I'm fed up, and I am trying to fix our community.

--------------------
PM
^
Gazomg
 Posted: Apr 16 2015, 03:02 AM

Dal

Group: Cardassian
Member No.: 70

thanks for the feedback isadorabelle.

I guess the reason I also felt the thread or at least some thread on the topic should have been kept unlocked as other members might want to express an opinion not on the banning but the discussion on the article originally posted, the occupation of bajor etc., which as I said earlier was a valid topic.

Locking thread sends out a negative feeling in general, and since the "offending party" is banned it appears as if debate on policy is frowned upon, which I know is not what ye want.

I totally understand how modding is a thankless job, but its encouraging members to voice opinions, give feedback etc is what a forum needs, and you dont want members thinking if they add a comment they risk having threads locked

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
PM
^
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Apr 16 2015, 10:15 AM

Hebitian at Heart

Group: Prefect
Member No.: 4

Do be mindful, of course, that this staff will not hold back out of fear from employing moderation tools when necessary. That sort of approach is over. While we would like to hope it is not a common occurrence, we will not be timid because somebody might have a "negative feeling" about the board staff doing their jobs. The cost of not doing so is a much *greater* negative feeling for the whole community, when a problem is allowed to fester unchecked and people feel that board rules and policies hold no weight and therefore behave with disregard for them and even outright flout their perceived ability to do so in an attempt to intimidate those who would object to their behavior.

Additionally, based on my own experience in multiple online communities, I have found Isadora more than generous to allow discussion to take place on this matter at all. Many communities I know treat any form of public discussion of moderator actions of any type as an infraction and have a right to take that stance as it suits their needs.

I cannot speak for any other country, but at least in my own, there is a common misperception that the free speech protections mean that anyone can say anything to anyone at any time and that it is illegal to do otherwise--when the truth is that it simply means the government is not allowed to act in certain ways. Citizens retain the right, outside of some specifically defined circumstances, to maintain codes of conduct in their homes and property as they wish.

So, while perhaps there will be changes you will like, and it would be great if that is the case, I do not want to cultivate any mistaken impressions that there are no boundaries and that the completely hands-off, laissez-faire approach of the past should be the expectation going forward.

About those changes...as Isadora describes, you'll be seeing a number of changes on the Cardassia forum, which may include technical fixes where possible (I am not a coder so I'm afraid it's impossible for me to speak on what can and can't be done with the software without making a fool of myself), reorganizing the forum with greater ease of use in mind, and a revision of the board's policies and expectations.

This is a process we are doing carefully, and the details are still being worked out. None of us wants a situation where nothing can be discussed, because that means there's no community. At the same time, we do not want a situation where people are free to bully or harass each other with impunity and put a chilling effect on discussion *that* way. The proper balance is neither absolute freedom nor absolute restriction, and we will be reviewing that in a methodical manner.

When the time comes and the final revision goes public, each member will have to decide for themselves if that is something they can abide by, or if they would find a different venue better suited to them. But again, the laissez-faire approach, that never sees involvement from staff, or intervention where necessary, is the option that we already know is off the table.

This post has been edited by Nerys Ghemor: Apr 16 2015, 10:18 AM

--------------------
Avatar credit: balsavor.deviantart.com
PM
^
Amroth Dolak
 Posted: Apr 16 2015, 10:30 AM

Jagul

Group: Exiled
Member No.: 69

In that case, I'd like to add something to the check list. Since shortly my notificcation system doesn't notify me anymore of any new threads being posted. Even the ones that I'm subscribed to, don't notify me anymore from a new posting to that thread.
PM
^
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Apr 16 2015, 10:33 AM

Hebitian at Heart

Member No.: 4

QUOTE (Amroth Dolak @ Apr 16 2015, 10:30 AM)
In that case, I'd like to add something to the check list. Since shortly my notificcation system doesn't notify me anymore of any new threads being posted. Even the ones that I'm subscribed to, don't notify me anymore from a new posting to that thread.

No problem. While I do not know what's involved in attempting a fix, I will log that. I'll also give that feature a try myself, since I don't use it normally.

--------------------
Avatar credit: balsavor.deviantart.com
PM
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Apr 16 2015, 10:56 AM

Always a Glinn

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Amroth Dolak @ Apr 16 2015, 03:30 PM)

I think the system doesn't notify more than once of new posts until you visit the thread.

If that's not the case, then yeah, it's a problem. As Nerys said, it's been logged on the to-do list.
PMWebsite
^
Amroth Dolak
 Posted: Apr 16 2015, 12:50 PM

Jagul

QUOTE (Gul Re'jal @ Apr 16 2015, 04:56 PM)
I think the system doesn't notify more than once of new posts until you visit the thread.

If that's not the case, then yeah, it's a problem. As Nerys said, it's been logged on the to-do list.

The system doesn't notify me at all anymore on any of the subscribed threads, neither on any new thread that have been posted.

Just thought I'd let you know while there is still a to-do list going around.
PM
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Apr 16 2015, 03:04 PM

Always a Glinn

Member No.: 3

Sure, we have noted. Thanks for info.
PMWebsite
^
Amroth Dolak
 Posted: Apr 16 2015, 04:16 PM

Jagul

QUOTE (Gul Re'jal @ Apr 16 2015, 09:04 PM)
Sure, we have noted. Thanks for info.

Okay.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll