Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  
Deranged Nasat -- A very good moring to you all. Just checking in on everyone.
Sephirah -- Mriytic Cardăsa!
Yeela -- Good Morning Cardassia!
Yeela -- Shada!! sup!
Yeela -- biggrin.gif

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Add Reply
New Poll

Cardassians don't play games?, Give me a break...
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Nov 21 2011, 10:37 AM

Hebitian at Heart

Group: Prefect
Member No.: 4

Yeah...there's some more lovely propaganda from Garak there in A Stitch in Time. rolleyes.gif

While I do think there's likely some truth in that, in that games tend to have an educational purpose or keep your reflexes sharpened (and therefore educational institutions on my Cardassia probably don't have recess even in the lower grades--only directed physical education classes), there's no way you can tell me that Cardassians don't ever just cut loose and have fun.

What kinds of games do your Cardassians play when they just want to relax and unwind?

--------------------
Avatar credit: balsavor.deviantart.com
PM
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Nov 21 2011, 12:15 PM

Always a Glinn

Member No.: 3

I also didn't buy that claim that Cardassians don't play games. Even if such things (fun without educational/training/whatever purpose) were forbidden--and I am not so sure they were--people would find a way to do it illegally, even at the cost of being arrested by the Obsidian Order.

Not a noble example, but soldiers enjoyed themselves at the tongo table at Quark's, so clearly they knew how to have fun and liked playing a game without a purpose other than winning money.
PMWebsite
^
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Nov 21 2011, 02:03 PM

Hebitian at Heart

And of course in my universe there's the "infamous" example of a young Berat throwing a boomerang inside the house... wink.gif

--------------------
PM
^
Isadorabelle
 Posted: Nov 21 2011, 05:22 PM

Legate

Group: Central Command
Member No.: 1

I agree, they have to play games. Sometimes you just need to have fun and for it not to serve any real purpose other than that.

I have a game that I thought for an rp group called Casamat. It isn't a 'let loose' game but in that, it is a game given to children that adapts to them as they grow so that the more they use it, the more it picks up on weaknesses and focuses on that to strengthen them. Though, that still fits into the educational/skills category.

Though, I think that those kind of 'for fun only' games would probably be something outdoorsy. Cardassians strike me as a hardy bunch, athletic and physical. While not the snow boarding kind of folks, I can see water sports, probably some Cardassian version of football. I guess even that is still strategic, but most men love to have an excuse to pound on each other!

--------------------
PM
^
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Nov 21 2011, 07:38 PM

Hebitian at Heart

Could you describe Casamat more? That sounds really interesting! (Maybe it would even merit its own thread if there's a lot to say. smile.gif )

I know that my Gul Berat loves to swim. Not as sure about the others' leisure activities, but his love for water is yet another reason I think of Berat as a "Labrador puppy" among Cardassians. wink.gif

--------------------
PM
^
Isadorabelle
 Posted: Nov 21 2011, 08:23 PM

Legate

Group: Central Command
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Nerys Ghemor @ Nov 22 2011, 12:38 AM)
Could you describe Casamat more?  That sounds really interesting! (Maybe it would even merit its own thread if there's a lot to say. smile.gif )

I know that my Gul Berat loves to swim.  Not as sure about the others' leisure activities, but his love for water is yet another reason I think of Berat as a "Labrador puppy" among Cardassians. wink.gif

I went ahead and started a new one for casamat since it is an original creation and not canon.

Swimming seems like it would be a big sport for Cardassians.

--------------------
PM
^
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Nov 21 2011, 11:11 PM

Hebitian at Heart

I think it could be too. I don't know if Berat's affinity for water is particularly strong, or if it's a more common Cardassian trait. But it seemed "right" to me. smile.gif

--------------------
PM
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Nov 21 2011, 11:31 PM

Always a Glinn

I'd expect any form of physical exercises to be approved by everyone. Keeping fit cannot go wrong, especially for a race with probably at least one soldier in a family.
PMWebsite
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Nov 22 2011, 07:06 AM

Always a Glinn

What do you think their memory training looks like? We know that Cardassians are famous for their photographic memory, but it also has to be taken care of.

For my fanfic, I created a game that starts memory training as early as for 3-year-old children. I can share it and describe if anyone is interested, but first I'd like to hear what you imagine their techniques are.
PMWebsite
^
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Nov 22 2011, 11:18 AM

Hebitian at Heart

I could be wrong, but I always imagined it as very intense, almost like the training we saw young Vulcans subjected to in Trek XI (which was presumably inspired by what we saw in Trek IV). Very, very intense, grueling training, which I think could have led to that saying, "Education is power; joy is vulnerability," for those who took it to the greatest extremes.

School was not a fun place for my Cardassians except maybe for "kindergarten."

--------------------
PM
^
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Apr 14 2015, 10:31 PM

Hebitian at Heart

I realize this is a verrrrry old topic, but an idea on this popped into my head. smile.gif We know action figures are still a thing in the 24th century--at least on Ferenginar they are, with Marauder Mo. wink.gif

It occurred to me that a species that we know likes to commemorate with statues might also commemorate individuals with action figures. So I wonder...are there historical action figure sets to try to enforce the lessons of the state (pre-Dominion War)? Commemorative collectibles for adults?

I thought about this because of a recent purchase of a collectible action figure at a convention...got me curious. smile.gif

--------------------
PM
^
Marritza
 Posted: Apr 15 2015, 12:09 AM

Jagul

Group: Cardassian
Member No.: 42

I would think so. A bit off topic. It seems some human cultures I have come across in my travels that have had government properganda in there history similar to pre-dominion Cardassia. One country even had a museum dedicated to them.

Anyway back to trek. I think people who were 'war heroes' or did a 'deed' to the state (Gul Dar'heel for a not so great example, or Tret Akleen) would have an action figure. Also fictional character in stories that advertise the Union as a great and mighty empire. I would also think they would have ships models people could build like, sort of like these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airfix .
PM
^
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Apr 15 2015, 12:49 AM

Hebitian at Heart

On the model ships...I wonder if the tech allows little tiny antigravs to be put safely in them? biggrin.gif I at least know Exocomps on the Fed side have little antigravs. I just don't know if that would be kid-approved?

--------------------
PM
^
Marritza
 Posted: Apr 15 2015, 12:53 AM

Jagul

Group: Cardassian
Member No.: 42

Just had an image of a bunch of Cardassian youths getting into mischief with them and floating around the house biggrin.gif
PM
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Apr 15 2015, 03:54 AM

Always a Glinn

Hmm, I remember in one of my fics one of little children played with a toy Galor smile.gif

I guess it is quite possible. Maybe even they are supposed to be on a prominent spot on a shelf, but kids - when no one sees - take them to play like with dolls or action figures wink.gif
PMWebsite
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll