Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  
Deranged Nasat -- A very good moring to you all. Just checking in on everyone.
Sephirah -- Mriytic Cardăsa!
Yeela -- Good Morning Cardassia!
Yeela -- Shada!! sup!
Yeela -- biggrin.gif

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Add Reply
New Poll

The Cardassian Union in Star Trek Online
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Sep 2 2015, 09:45 AM

Hebitian at Heart

Group: Prefect
Member No.: 4

I know we have one or two people here who play Star Trek Online, and here are a couple of points I am curious to know about from other players.

In game, we see a Cardassia that has been partially demilitarized, retaining a defense force for use within its borders. They continue to face the threat of a resurgent True Way, a terrorist/paramilitary group bent on returning Cardassia to its former dictatorial and oppressive ways. They appear to have an independent and democratic government, and when we see the citizens of the Union and the forces of the legitimate Cardassian Defense Force without the influence of the True Way, most of the time they seem respectable. However, their ambassador to the Federation is a very suspicious and squirrelly individual, suggesting that the more unfavorable elements still have not been completely removed from Cardassian politics.

One plus I have noticed about the game is that it is always made VERY clear that you are fighting the True Way and not the Union itself. The entire Cardassian people are never painted with the brush of the True Way terrorists.

One minus is that part of the True Way's power is seen to come from a breakaway faction from the Dominion that has taken up residence in the Alpha Quadrant...one that I don't understand why the Federation didn't force back into the Gamma Quadrant upon discovery.

For players of STO, what are your reflections on Cardassia as it's shown in the game? Do you hope for Cardassia to become a mini-faction like the game's Romulan Republic, or would you prefer that not happen? For me, one problem is the possibility that there would be a Cardassian-KDF faction, which I see as unacceptable given the Klingons' guilt in sowing the seeds for the Dominion War and ousting the dissidents--behavior that according to the in-game backstory, they have failed to learn from.

What path if any do you think Cardassia might be able to take to convince the Federation and other powers that the treaty restrictions have served their purpose and can now be lifted--or should they be kept limited until there is no longer evidence that even a significant minority of Cardassians support a return to the evils of the past?

--------------------
Avatar credit: balsavor.deviantart.com
PM
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Sep 3 2015, 04:28 AM

Always a Glinn

Member No.: 3

Ok, step by step.

The ambassador is a filthy jerk. I'm not his bartender!

My reflections on Cardassia? None. Cardassia doesn't exist. I mean, I know it does, but in the game it could be gone and it would make no difference. All we really have is the True Way and Skyl. Based on that nothing, I formed no opinion at all.

As for the mini-faction. I wish so much Romulans got "promoted", but I realise it ain't gonna happen.
I think that if we get Cardassians at some point, they'd actually be forced Fed-allied. KDF-allied makes no sense in-game. The Feds are responsible for Cardassia's safety now, they are pulling the strings, and it seems like they are really ruling it. So a short storyline for a new Cardassian toon, which later uses Fed starbases, etc. seems a logical progression.

Would I like to see Cardassians as a faction? Yup! As a mini-faction? Still yup, but seeing how annoying it is for each of my Romulan toons, I know I wouldn't be completely happy. Still, I could wear a Cardassian uniform and fly a number of Cardassian ships, and that couldn't for something.

Right now I can't do the former, and I'd have to pay 250 mil EC for one of the latter. That means selling 250 particle plasma torpedoes wink.gif

I don't think Cardassia would convince the Feds of anything. It would be easier for the devs to make Cardassia a state that depends on the Feds, and, as I wrote above, force-ally them with the blue side.

The only up-side of this I see is that all Cardassians could create teams together. Fed-Romulans and KDF-Romulans can't rolleyes.gif (<- this emoticon should NOT smile, who made the "irritated" emoticon smiling friendly!!).
PMWebsite
^
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Sep 3 2015, 12:19 PM

Hebitian at Heart

QUOTE (Gul Re'jal @ Sep 3 2015, 04:28 AM)
Ok, step by step.

The ambassador is a filthy jerk. I'm not his bartender!

Indeed not! More fun: my STO-AU version of Berat was so disgusted and angry at Skyl's "request" that he actually threatened him and went as far as grabbing him by the color. (Imagine how much that would HURT for Skyl. Bwaaahahahaha.) Almost got in major trouble with his superiors for that one. Almost. wink.gif

My reflections on Cardassia? None. Cardassia doesn't exist. I mean, I know it does, but in the game it could be gone and it would make no difference. All we really have is the True Way and Skyl. Based on that nothing, I formed no opinion at all.

There's the Goralis mission ("Seeds of Dissent"), which sticks out in my head as showing Cardassian civilians. Once the True Way was kicked off the planet, those people seemed pretty decent to me.

As for the mini-faction. I wish so much Romulans got "promoted", but I realise it ain't gonna happen.
I think that if we get Cardassians at some point, they'd actually be forced Fed-allied. KDF-allied makes no sense in-game. The Feds are responsible for Cardassia's safety now, they are pulling the strings, and it seems like they are really ruling it. So a short storyline for a new Cardassian toon, which later uses Fed starbases, etc. seems a logical progression.

Hmm...if I recall from the Path to 2409, the Cardassians do have their own Castellan and Council, and we meet one of their Ministers in a mission. Perhaps an analogy is post-WWII Japan and Germany, but the question is, at what point in the history of those countries? Both were under occupation for a period of time, but both also resumed self-rule later, with an agreement with other countries to fulfill their external defense needs. And both are now what I'd consider to be significant world players, given their powerhouse economies. For Japan I would also add major, worldwide cultural influence...I'd put them right up there with the US and India in that regard.

I wonder how far along in that process people see Cardassia as being in STO.

Would I like to see Cardassians as a faction? Yup! As a mini-faction? Still yup, but seeing how annoying it is for each of my Romulan toons, I know I wouldn't be completely happy. Still, I could wear a Cardassian uniform and fly a number of Cardassian ships, and that couldn't for something.

Right now I can't do the former, and I'd have to pay 250 mil EC for one of the latter. That means selling 250 particle plasma torpedoes wink.gif

That is a lot of EC for sure. Because I got that ship early, it cost me "only" about 80 million EC.

I would definitely like a Cardassian uniform option, not the stupid True Way one, but the one they have the "ensigns" in, which is the REAL Cardassian uniform. I would spend major EC for that.

That said, I DID do something you might get a kick out of. Remember Gul Macet's awful, awful uniform? I used the Counter-Command armor to make a modern, up-to-date version that actually looks credible as combat armor.

One can of whoop-ass, coming right up: http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag85/N...13.jpg~original

I don't think Cardassia would convince the Feds of anything. It would be easier for the devs to make Cardassia a state that depends on the Feds, and, as I wrote above, force-ally them with the blue side.

It would at least stop them from allying with the Klingons... laugh.gif

The only up-side of this I see is that all Cardassians could create teams together. Fed-Romulans and KDF-Romulans can't rolleyes.gif (<- this emoticon should NOT smile, who made the "irritated" emoticon smiling friendly!!).

I suppose whoever designed the emoticon wants to avoid making it seem too insulting to readers. wink.gif

But yeah, that would be a teaming advantage.

This post has been edited by Nerys Ghemor: Sep 3 2015, 12:19 PM

--------------------
PM
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Sep 3 2015, 02:11 PM

Always a Glinn

There's the Goralis mission ("Seeds of Dissent"), which sticks out in my head as showing Cardassian civilians. Once the True Way was kicked off the planet, those people seemed pretty decent to me.

I was thinking more about it as a state. Individuals are a completely different story smile.gif

One can of whoop-ass, coming right up: http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag85/N...13.jpg~original

This actually looks quite good. While not your average Cardassian armour, it work as... well, special armour for special tasks smile.gif

I suppose whoever designed the emoticon wants to avoid making it seem too insulting to readers. wink.gif

Not buying it wink.gif This is the only "roll eyes" emoticon I know that has a smilie face, not a serious face.

The 250 mil EC is the only thing that keeps me from creating a "Cardassian" toon. I just can't be bothered to grind that much, because I refuse to grind (the game is supposed to be fun, not an unpleasant duty smile.gif). I'll just keep waiting for a fraction wink.gif
PMWebsite
^
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Sep 3 2015, 10:20 PM

Hebitian at Heart

QUOTE (Gul Re'jal @ Sep 3 2015, 02:11 PM)
I was thinking more about it as a state. Individuals are a completely different story smile.gif

Still, the freedom with which the colonists spoke after the True Way was removed was enough to suggest to me that the real Cardassian government doesn't rule with an iron fist anymore. (And even when the True Way was there, a few people were bold enough to approach Federation officers, which suggests they didn't think the real government would punish them for it in addition to the True Way.) That's just the way I saw it, anyway. smile.gif

This actually looks quite good. While not your average Cardassian armour, it work as... well, special armour for special tasks smile.gif

Thanks. I definitely had it in mind as a sort of "elite infantry" armor.

The 250 mil EC is the only thing that keeps me from creating a "Cardassian" toon. I just can't be bothered to grind that much, because I refuse to grind (the game is supposed to be fun, not an unpleasant duty smile.gif). I'll just keep waiting for a fraction wink.gif

A "fraction" is what Romulus got. wink.gif

The one thing that does help me when I do decide I want to grind for something is pooling resources from all four of my characters through my account bank (which IS a worthwhile thing to grind for). That way it never seems like a really outrageous amount of work at any time.

--------------------
PM
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Sep 4 2015, 04:49 AM

Always a Glinn

(And even when the True Way was there, a few people were bold enough to approach Federation officers, which suggests they didn't think the real government would punish them for it in addition to the True Way.)

Nope, didn't see any Feds there. Romulan Republic was quite visible, though, fumigating the True Way infestation.

tongue.gif

Yeah, and I don't see Cardassians getting much more. Like as said: even less, because they'd have no choice at all, and be spoon-fed to the Feds... hihihi pun

The one thing that does help me when I do decide I want to grind for something is pooling resources from all four of my characters through my account bank (which IS a worthwhile thing to grind for). That way it never seems like a really outrageous amount of work at any time.

All my toons are usually EC poor, because I buy lots of stuff for fleet projects with my EC. Tour the Galaxy each day on all 4 could be a solution, but.... I HATE it LOL It'd be 1 hour of game-time EACH DAY out of my life for WEEKS. Thanks, but no thanks wink.gif

Selling Contraband is the only way I'd bother with wink.gif That's how I got my lovely sword for an outrageous price

user posted image
PMWebsite
^
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Sep 4 2015, 10:59 AM

Hebitian at Heart

QUOTE (Gul Re'jal @ Sep 4 2015, 04:49 AM)
(And even when the True Way was there, a few people were bold enough to approach Federation officers, which suggests they didn't think the real government would punish them for it in addition to the True Way.)

Nope, didn't see any Feds there. Romulan Republic was quite visible, though, fumigating the True Way infestation.

tongue.gif

I actually haven't done those missions on my Reman...I'm holding off on that in hopes the Cardassian arc will be cleaned up before I take another character through, because some of the missions have map design flaws and other issues that I'm not keen on repeating. I've only done it twice: once on my main toon and once on my Delta Recruit.

The run on my Delta Recruit reminded me of all the design flaws and probably the only reason I had commitment enough to stick with it then was that I was really sick during the recruit event so I literally didn't have the energy to do anything but sit and powerlevel that toon for two days on end. wink.gif

However, I enjoyed "Seeds of Dissent," and the 2800 series.

Yeah, and I don't see Cardassians getting much more. Like as said: even less, because they'd have no choice at all, and be spoon-fed to the Feds... hihihi pun

http://imghumour.com/assets/Uploads/I-see-...u-did-there.jpg

All my toons are usually EC poor, because I buy lots of stuff for fleet projects with my EC. Tour the Galaxy each day on all 4 could be a solution, but.... I HATE it LOL It'd be 1 hour of game-time EACH DAY out of my life for WEEKS. Thanks, but no thanks wink.gif

Selling Contraband is the only way I'd bother with wink.gif That's how I got my lovely sword for an outrageous price

user posted image

My Reman has a sword too--but she has the free one you can get in game. However, she's the only toon that I actually upgraded a melee weapon up to Mk 14. (I stopped as soon as I got it to 14 though. I won't put resources into an upgrade project without a guaranteed return.)

What kind is that one?

Oh...I don't give my EC to my fleet. I use that on myself, and some more EC-rich members of my fleet buy commodities.

But I have some toons where I don't use my fleet credits on myself anymore, so I "buy" massive numbers of duty officers on the Fleet base (sometimes hundreds at a time, when there are large projects going on) and I contribute that way. Some toons also contribute all their dilithium...I am so glad I'm through most of the upgrade process and I can give that way again. Only one--my Reman, who still needs upgrades, keeps her dilithium.

I figure since DOFFs are a resource that some people buy with EC's instead of fleet credits, that I'm still making a worthwhile contribution even though I keep my EC's for myself. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Nerys Ghemor: Sep 4 2015, 11:01 AM

--------------------
PM
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Sep 4 2015, 02:42 PM

Always a Glinn

QUOTE (Nerys Ghemor @ Sep 4 2015, 04:59 PM)

My Reman has a sword too--but she has the free one you can get in game.  However, she's the only toon that I actually upgraded a melee weapon up to Mk 14.  (I stopped as soon as I got it to 14 though.  I won't put resources into an upgrade project without a guaranteed return.)

What kind is that one?

It's the Nausicaan Tegolar Sword. It can drop in a mission, but it's so rare that it never happened to me. You could also get it from "Coliseum" mission from that rack behind the forcefield near the cages you're locked in with Slamek, if you're lucky, but I wasn't and only got another Falchion. And you can try only once.

Each of my Romulans has a bladed weapon. They're Romulans, after all wink.gif But each has a different one.

This sword is also nice, because if you make it visible while holstered, it's not strapped to your back, but where it really belongs.

user posted image
PMWebsite
^
Deranged Nasat
 Posted: Oct 4 2015, 01:42 PM

The Essay Master

Group: Cardassian
Member No.: 49

"Seeds of Dissent" was a welcome episode - it was the only episode in the Cardassian arc that was actually about the Cardassians and their struggle. It was pretty interesting and made the Cardassian people sympathetic; troubled but relatable. Cardassia as a whole seems to be quite respectable in STO, it's the True Way that's the problem. However, the entire Cardassian arc is rather nonsensical, sadly, and fan-pleasing without much thought put into it. We have Cardassians allied with Jem'Hadar for no reason other than that it's familiar to the viewer (yes, the True Way aren't the most rational people around, but how on earth could a group dedicated to restoring the "Glorious Cardassian State" ally with the people who destroyed it?!). Then there's the Mirror Universe, where somehow the Terran Empire had restored itself so we can have both the evil Starfleet to fight and the DS9/MU connection.

Fun fact: My Starfleet bridge crew includes a Human security chief whom I decided was raised by Cardassians. So I gave her a Cardassian name and she wears a Vorta-esque viewscreen-visor, which I've decided was a gift from her mother, who once wore one back in the day. biggrin.gif
PMEmail
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Oct 5 2015, 03:14 AM

Always a Glinn

QUOTE (Deranged Nasat @ Oct 4 2015, 07:42 PM)
However, the entire Cardassian arc is rather nonsensical, sadly, and fan-pleasing without much thought put into it.

"fan-pleasing"? In what way it's fan-pleasing? It seems like everybody complains about it, and I don't recall one player saying it was nice. Everyone welcomes the revamp.
PMWebsite
^
Deranged Nasat
 Posted: Oct 5 2015, 11:40 AM

The Essay Master

Group: Cardassian
Member No.: 49

QUOTE (Gul Re'jal @ Oct 5 2015, 08:14 AM)
QUOTE (Deranged Nasat @ Oct 4 2015, 07:42 PM)
However, the entire Cardassian arc is rather nonsensical, sadly, and fan-pleasing without much thought put into it.

"fan-pleasing"? In what way it's fan-pleasing? It seems like everybody complains about it, and I don't recall one player saying it was nice. Everyone welcomes the revamp.

Okay, possibly a poor choice of words. I meant to say things are thrown in because they're familiar to fans even if they don't add up or make sense as part of the overall story. The equivalent of inserting a much-loved character into an episode in hopes that fans of the character will love it, without stopping to consider if it makes sense for that character to be there. The Cardassian arc of STO appeals to the nostalgic and the awesomely familiar, so it has Jem'Hadar allied with Cardassians so we can relive the Dominion War. Nonsensically.
PMEmail
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Oct 5 2015, 04:05 PM

Always a Glinn

Well, it'll go away. I avoid spoilers, so I didn't reach much about or checked any of the walkthroughs from Tribble of the new episodes, but from what I see it's going to be about Mirror Universe this time. I'm not sure if much of Cardassians will be left there.

But perhaps that's a step toward Cardassian fRaction. That'd be nice.
PMWebsite
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Nov 6 2015, 07:33 PM

Always a Glinn

Well, the Galor is now nearly 500 mil, so unless I get lucky gambling with lockboxes, I won't have one. In no way I could grind that, and ZEN->key->EC would cost $100, which I'm also not paying. sad.gif
PMWebsite
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Nov 12 2015, 09:55 PM

Always a Glinn

I love my fleetmates. I received a Galor from them. smile.gif Flying in style now biggrin.gif
PMWebsite
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll