Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse  
Deranged Nasat -- A very good moring to you all. Just checking in on everyone.
Sephirah -- Mriytic Cardăsa!
Yeela -- Good Morning Cardassia!
Yeela -- Shada!! sup!
Yeela -- biggrin.gif

[ Smilies | BBCodes ]

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Holidays and other events
Thor Damar
 Posted: Dec 30 2013, 01:17 PM

Prince of Lakaria

Group: Cardassian
Member No.: 10

Now that the Christmas/New year period is almost over and we are temporary distant from festive events I am struck by one sudden instant thought.

What holidays/spiritual events/special days do the Cardassians/Hebitians/others from Prime celebrate/did/have and will commemorate. (yeah, I watch/ed/ing to much Doctor Who)

I include the secular and religious occasions in this discussion but I think that as a whole this forum is the best place for it.

So, what do our favorite grey scaled friends make merry over?

--------------------
"Worlds turn as much by politics as surely as they do by gravity" Iloja of Prim
PM
^
Deranged Nasat
 Posted: Dec 30 2013, 01:28 PM

The Essay Master

Member No.: 49

In the novels, the Cardassians celebrate Union Day, which honours the founding of the union, funnily enough. smile.gif I imagine they have quite a few such holidays, actually. Lots of opportunity for parades and patriotic spirit. I always assumed the ceremonies for military officers receiving service awards (like Darhe'el) must have been large and very public events.
PMEmail
^
Thor Damar
 Posted: Dec 30 2013, 01:38 PM

Prince of Lakaria

Member No.: 10

That's what I assume for the big public displays, a show of pomp and power with the unmistakable massage that the State is all around you and forever.

And as both you and I come from a culture that still does Pomp and Circumstance reasonably well I've no doubt we'd from some things very recognizable on Cardassia... wink.gif

The other interesting side would be the private family affairs and how that most important facet of the Cardassians memorializes that aspect of themselves. I'm not one hundred per cent certain on this but don't the Cardassians celebrate a Naming Day,something not too dissimilar to our Terran birthdays?

--------------------
"Worlds turn as much by politics as surely as they do by gravity" Iloja of Prim
PM
^
Deranged Nasat
 Posted: Dec 30 2013, 01:47 PM

The Essay Master

Member No.: 49

I certainly remember something along those lines. Although I wonder if they're less a birthday-equivalent and more akin to Italian Onomastico, which I understand are almost as important in many parts of Italy.
PMEmail
^
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Dec 30 2013, 05:47 PM

Hebitian at Heart

Group: Prefect
Member No.: 4

I imagine in the past, celebration of certain events was FORCED--skipping a state funeral, or not participating properly in Union Day celebrations were likely an offense.

These days I would imagine more diversity is found in who celebrates what how. For instance, Union Day may not be celebrated by some Oralians for similar reasons to why some have problems with Columbus Day or Robert E. Lee day. (Conversely, many years down the road, one wonders if there might be a sort of "Sorry Day" as in Australia, to remember the many who were severely wronged by the state.)

One holiday, though very solemn, that I imagine would be agreed on by virtually all would be a day memorializing the Lakarian City Massacre and end of the Dominion War.

--------------------
Avatar credit: balsavor.deviantart.com
PM
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Dec 31 2013, 06:14 AM

Always a Glinn

Member No.: 3

I would also add anniversaries of military victories to the pantheon on celebrations. I wrote a story about a celebration of a historic battle (and not a celebration you could expect, pompous and parade-filled wink.gif).
PMWebsite
^
Amroth Dolak
 Posted: Dec 31 2013, 12:50 PM

Jagul

Group: Exiled
Member No.: 69

I remember from the book "A stitch in time" there was something along the lines of a remembrence day for fallen soldiers, there was a statue of sort, Tolan kept the gardens around it, Elim remembered this from in his youth when he went along to do maitnance. *sighs* It's been awhile since I read the book, so it's all kinda vague, but it's something of the sort.
PM
^
Ziyal Lasaran
 Posted: Jan 29 2014, 04:32 PM

Jagul

Member No.: 71

In the TV shows Gul Dukat mentioned he missed his son's birthday while he was on a mission with Sisko. So I guess the birthday is a kind of holiday for Cardassians.

Naming day, yeah, I think I also read something similar in the novels. But it seems to be another holiday than the birthday.

--------------------
"A different point of view can lead to a different point of understanding or a deeper one."
~ Iloja of Prim~
PMWebsite
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Jan 30 2014, 09:30 AM

Always a Glinn

I don't recall any mention of a name's day. I guess it's because that's something that exists in some cultures, but not all, so it's a concept alien to many writers/people.

And yes, it is a different kind of celebration than a birthday. I could explain the difference, if anyone's interested (I originally come from a culture with a strong celebration of name's days).
PMWebsite
^
Amroth Dolak
 Posted: Jan 30 2014, 10:16 AM

Jagul

Give me the long boring explenation. wink.gif No really, I'd like to know the difference.
PM
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Jan 30 2014, 10:30 AM

Always a Glinn

Each day of the year has a saint(s) and/or a patron(s). In calendars in countries that this custom exists those names are printed in the calendar.

Eg. today is (among others) Martin's day. So any bloke whose name is Martin would have a name day today (which could be celebrated with a party and gifts, similar to BD but without a cake).

Martin is a name that appears in the calendar several times throughout the year (I think in the Polish calendar the record belongs to John with 20+ days). In such a case the Martin bloke celebrates the first name day after his BD, so only once a year.

In the past children were given names based on the day they were born, not what their parents liked or not (not sure if it's in all cultures, though, or just some). This isn't practised any more.

In some countries younger generations don't celebrate this any more, or rarely. I am not sure when my own day is, because I just don't care. My parents' generation rarely celebrated BDs and preferred the name days. Maybe because there are no numbers attached, so no one counts how old you get wink.gif

Here you have more details and how each country approaches it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_day
PMWebsite
^
Nerys Ghemor
 Posted: Jan 30 2014, 11:51 AM

Hebitian at Heart

Member No.: 4

I wonder if the Cardassian naming day could be something different?

For instance, it used to be custom (and may still be in some places) not to name one's child until the seventh day, or until some point where it was culturally assumed that the child was likely to live. I wonder if it's that day--when the naming ceremony is held--that's celebrated instead of the birthday?

Originally, it was because of infant mortality, that this custom was followed. In the US that changed as more and more babies survived, but I am not sure other countries changed their traditions as they also saw improvements.

This post has been edited by Nerys Ghemor: Jan 30 2014, 11:52 AM

--------------------
Avatar credit: balsavor.deviantart.com
PM
^
Amroth Dolak
 Posted: Jan 30 2014, 12:36 PM

Jagul

I knew that in the "old days" they used to wait with baptising a child until a certain amount of time had passed, I believe a week or so, indeed due to infant mortality. But the naming is a different thing. I remember my grandmother telling it used to be a common thing to use the name of the godfather, the godmother and then a name the parents chose as well. That way creating a lot of first names for the same person, but the person itself getting a nickname anyway. My grandparents, uncles and aunts have multiple names, will cousins and myself only having a single name, due to the demise of that tradition. My grandmother had a name-day as you describe it, but I don't know if she got that name deliberate or not.
PM
^
Gul Re'jal
 Posted: Jan 31 2014, 05:50 AM

Always a Glinn

I don't think two given names are in any way related to name days. I have two names (thank gods, because I hate the first one so much I use the middle one), but they were given randomly (as in chosen by my mother), not due to any family/cultural customs. I think this is purely a matter of parents' choice - two names, I mean.

Given that the Cardassians are family people, it is possible they give revered family member's names to children, but even looking at our Earth cultures, this is not universal. I don't know a culture more set on family values than the Chinese and for they naming someone "after" other people is alien (unless we talk about modern, westernised people from big cities).

Since I don't remember any mention of name day in Trek, let alone the Cardies, I am not sure I could speculate here without making it purely theoretical without any basis in the canon.
PMWebsite
^
Amroth Dolak
 Posted: Jan 31 2014, 07:10 AM

Jagul

I have a gut-feeling the Cardassian take great care in chosing a name for their children, possibly naming them in honor of a lost and/or dear family member or a reveared public person, like a fallen hero or something. huh.gif
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll